The port number has nothing to do with what encryption methods are used. 
You can encrypt traffic on port 25 just as much as on any other port. 
If your smtp-provider support encryption on port 25 that is great, and there is 
no reason they should not support at least starttls on any port that is open 
for sending (and receiving) mail. 

N <[email protected]> wrote:
>BTW try one hack
>
>while keeping the starttls security intact, just change the port to 25
>... 
>and it may work. it did for me. and it is a potential security bug. 
>
>On Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:10:15 PM UTC+5:30, Filu wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use K9 on two different accounts (one of them gmail). The SMTP is
>set to 
>> 465. I've never encountered any problems on both 3G and WiFi (open or
>
>> secured).
>>
>> Until recently ....
>>
>> I went for a vacation abroud and could not send ANY email via K9 on
>ANY 
>> (more than 5) open WiFi I've managed to connect to (on both
>accounts). 
>> Receiveing emails and other phone apps worked fine. No problems with 
>> sending emails via the gmail website.
>>
>> Whenever tried to send a message, I've received
>java.net.SocketTimeoutException 
>> message. Restarted the phone, did the force-stop. Nothing helped.
>>
>> When I went back to my home country I've first connected to the 3G - 
>> everything worked again. Then to my secured wifi at work - no
>problems as 
>> well.
>>
>> I can't trace the problem as things work now, but I wouldn't like to 
>> encounter it again...
>>
>>
>> I've googled around and I know that similar problem concerns blocikng
>SMTP 
>> by some providers, but it does not seem to be the case here....
>>
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>
>-- 
>-- 
>You received this message because you are subscribed to the K-9 Mail
>Users List.
>To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
>To unsubscribe, email [email protected]
>To report an issue with K-9 Mail, visit
>http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/issues/list
>For more options, visit this group at
>http://groups.google.com/group/k-9-mail
>
>--- 
>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>Groups "K-9 Mail" group.
>To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>an email to [email protected].
>For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

-- 
-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the K-9 Mail Users List.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe, email [email protected]
To report an issue with K-9 Mail, visit 
http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/issues/list
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/k-9-mail

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "K-9 
Mail" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to