OK, I have been doing some reading on APKs and have found several sites
where I can download K-9 APKs.

Is it true that I need to have rooted my nexus and  have a root capable
browser?  Or is that only for sideloading?

There are several versions of the apk available.  Do you have any idea
which one would work best or any guidelines on how to choose one?

This all seems a bit of a stretch to me as a solution and i wonder if the
easiest solution would be to try another email app.