This will allow you to upgrade to newer releases via the Play Store when they are released (like normal).

This all seems a bit of a stretch to me as a solution and i wonder if
the easiest solution would be to try another email app.

The only reason for all this is that your device appears to have failed to install it from the Play store and Google Play is not recognising it's installed. This should be impossible - Google Play ought to not be showing it as installed on your Nexus device unless it is properly listed in the Apps menu.

(If it were my device I'd be filing a bug to Google, but they will want debug information which is quite hard to get as a non-technical user).

It's possible that this will not be the only app that this breaks on. Have you tried installing other apps since K-9 failed to correctly install?

If it's more than one app, I would consider resetting the device to factory settings or asking for replacement device.

- Philip Whitehouse

On 2016-09-19 18:32, Neil McGarva wrote:
OK, I have been doing some reading on APKs and have found several
sites where I can download K-9 APKs.

Is it true that I need to have rooted my nexus and  have a root
capable browser?  Or is that only for sideloading?

There are several versions of the apk available.  Do you have any
idea which one would work best or any guidelines on how to choose one?

This all seems a bit of a stretch to me as a solution and i wonder if
the easiest solution would be to try another email app.

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 11:51:25 AM UTC+1, Neil McGarva