Staying on 5.6 forever was not an option for me, but since I did not want
to sacrifice the accounts page I went on the lookout for an alternative
mail program, most preferably open source.

After a few days of testing I have now fully switched over to FairEmail.
Suits my needs perfectly, but of course that is a matter of personal
preference.
Apart from many other features it has an accounts page (as an option)
including the number of unread mails. And finally Push (IMAP idle) is
working quite reliably :-) I never managed to get this working properly
with K-9 on any phone I had...

And moving mails between folders of different accounts is not a problem, I
just tested it a few minutes ago :-)