On 10/31/2011 06:55 PM, Neha Narkhede wrote:
> Chris, please could you elaborate a little more on this ? I think if
> this is a small change, we can cut the RC today.

I think we ought to include a NEWS file for users upgading from a
previous version.  Projects varry in how they do this, some examples:
 - http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/src/rsync-3.0.9-NEWS
 - http://www.pcre.org/news.txt
 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/couchdb/tags/1.1.0/NEWS?view=markup
 -
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cassandra/tags/cassandra-1.0.1/NEWS.txt?revision=1195406&view=markup

I like Cassandra's example with "here are the bigest new features" and
"things you need to know when upgrading".  I think some of the others
function more as change logs, which isn't what I'm after.

So for example, in this case we should point out that the wire format
has changed, their is a super cool compression feature, and you have to
upgrade the consumers, brokers, producers in that order.  Anything else?