If it makes it easier to get kbuild-2.5 into the kernel then I would
support making the CML2 support available as a seperate patch/tarball
for now.  Once the dust has settled then it could be introduced later
into the kernel tree.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying about coverting the Makefile.in
files to Makefiles.  If you mean having a toplevel Makefile that
recursively calls the subdirectory Makefiles then forget it.  This is
really bad as you effectively end up with lots of subprojects with
interdependencies that are generally incomplete.  There is an excellent
short paper written by Peter Miller explaining why recursive Makefiles
are considered harmful.  In summary, it gives the developer the
impression (and a false sense of security) that the build system will
accurately rebuild out of date files, but in reality it may not.  The
paper is called "Recuresive Make Considered Harmful" and you find it at
http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf

I apologise if I have misinterpreted your suggestions/statements.

Brendan Simon.