[Sam Ravnborg]
> How about extending the language (side effect) to automagically
> append (EXPERIMENTAL) or (OBSOLETE) to the menu line, if dependent
> on those special tags?

I've thought about that too.  Menuconfig already has magic code to
append ' (NEW)' if it hasn't seen a symbol before.

Your proposed change, however, cannot be easily parsed until we make
'$' optional (and deprecated) in dep_* tags.  The existing Configure
and Menuconfig borrow the /bin/sh parser which, if allowed to see
"$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL", will expand it too early to be of use.

Peter