https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=522615

--- Comment #25 from Branislav Klocok <[email protected]> ---
Retested on 6.30.0 as asked in comment #19. Three runs today, all clean, but I
want to be
upfront about what that does and does not show.

Setup: openSUSE Tumbleweed, kwalletd6 and kf6-kwallet 6.30.0 installed on 13
September,
Plasma on Wayland. Rather than waiting for this to happen on its own I
triggered it
deliberately with a phone hotspot, since joining a new password-protected
network is what
started it for me in July and again in August. I sampled kwalletd6 and ksecretd
RSS, kded6
CPU and the rate of org.kde.KWallet.writePassword calls every two seconds
throughout.

The first run was a plain join with the correct password on the first try.
Fifteen minutes,
395 samples: kwalletd6 went up by 1.4 MB once as the secret was written and
then stayed
flat, with no writePassword traffic at all afterwards.

The third run is the interesting one, because it reproduces the sequence from
comment #14
exactly. I deliberately mistyped the password, got a second prompt, entered the
correct one
and connected. NetworkManager logged both secret requests from that single
join:

    secrets required            first prompt, wrong password
    secrets exist               second prompt, correct password
    Activation: successful, device activated

Eleven minutes after that connection: kwalletd6 grew by 20 kB in total,
writePassword
stayed at 0/s across 77 separate measurements, kded6 sat at 0.0% CPU, and no
GTask or
"unexpected result type" lines appeared. For comparison, in July this machine
was losing
roughly 600 MB per minute at this point, and in August I measured 553 MB in
under two
minutes with 5714 inotify events on the wallet attribute file in a single
minute.

Now the caveat, which matters more than the numbers. This bug has always been
intermittent
for me. Over the years I hit it a handful of times, not on every network I
joined, so the
overwhelming majority of joins were always quiet even before your fix. Three
clean runs are
therefore a good sign and nothing more. I cannot tell you the leak is gone,
only that I
could not provoke it today along the path that provoked it twice before.

I will keep the RSS watchdog running and will report back if it ever fires
again, which is
probably the more useful signal over the next few weeks of travelling.

One unrelated thing I ran into while setting this up, in case it is useful to
someone. On a
WPA3/SAE network a wrong password leaves the profile permanently stuck:
NetworkManager
reports that secrets exist, retries the stored one, fails, and never asks the
agent for a
new one, so there is no way to correct it from the applet. On WPA2-PSK the
second prompt
appears normally. The wrong password also gets written to the wallet even when
the
connection fails, which lines up with what was reported in comment #14 about
the mistyped
password winning.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

Reply via email to