https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=525985

--- Comment #2 from Roland <[email protected]> ---
I dont understand why this has appeared after a couple of years, where there
are well-established/known/used OS conventions in file systems for this. This
approach is not used in any app or OS I have used where it isnt considered a
bug. There are conventional shortcuts like Cmd+D on Mac OS, or Ctrl-C/V on
Windows that already work within Digikam, which are effectively as fast, for a
function that I dont believe I have ever used. Perhaps as a safety for
working/testing image Editor etc, but natively it already natively supports
Save Changes or Save as New version, along with Cancel...

The dialog isnt context sensitive- there is never a need to copy/paste a file
to its own folder as an overwrite. Same for Skip Overwrite, because by
definition the source files for the copy exist in the target folder. So, its
copy with rename, which most OSs already handle natively as a _1 or _v1 etc. or
it is a Save-As, where you are prompted for a file name.

Conversely, these OSs/Apps all tend to treat a drag/drop of a file into its own
folder as a cancelled operation- and do nothing as a result.

In Digikam, a drag/cancel due to a missed group target, or a drag up/down for
scrolling where that fails or is aborted is a very common thing . As of now I
cannot even cancel a drag in process via Escape- so its sort of a once-started
you are committed to a dialog box, and having to Escape out of a dialog, or
risk duplicating a file on accident seems to me unnecessary.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

Reply via email to