https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=525972

H <[email protected]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 CC|                            |[email protected]

--- Comment #5 from H <[email protected]> ---
I can reproduce this problem as well with digiKam 9.1.0 on Windows, and I
believe it has a particularly serious consequence for Face Recognition.

My setup:

* digiKam 9.1.0
* Microsoft Windows
* Internal MySQL database
* Large existing photo collection; photos are not moved or renamed by digiKam
* Face Recognition settings: Face size = Small, Detection accuracy = 10,
Identification accuracy = 8, all CPU cores enabled
* Face Tags including face regions are enabled
* Lazy metadata synchronization is enabled
* I also tested with “Rescan files when modified” disabled; the problem still
occurs.

I already have confirmed face data in the database. For example, one person
(“Venci”) has about 110 faces which are displayed with a face rectangle and
“Venci [Accepted]”.

The problem can be reproduced as follows:

1. Go to People → Unknown.
2. Select a face which is clearly a known person, for example Venci.
3. Enter the person's name and click the green Confirm button.
4. The face disappears from Unknown.
5. However, it does NOT become a confirmed face under that person.
6. Instead, it appears under that person's Unconfirmed faces.
7. If I return to the Unknown view, the same face appears there again.
8. Rejecting or ignoring faces shows the same general problem: the face
disappears temporarily but then reappears.

There is also a metadata synchronization symptom:

* After confirming a face, digiKam puts the image into the pending metadata
synchronization queue.
* If I synchronize from database → image metadata, the face can return to the
Unconfirmed/Unknown state.
* However, the problem is not limited to synchronization: even without
performing the synchronization, leaving the view and returning can show the
face as Unconfirmed/Unknown again.

This is especially serious for Face Recognition because newly recognized faces
cannot reliably become confirmed training samples.

For example, with my collection:

* I had about 880 Unknown faces.
* Running Face Recognition produced useful results.
* At identification accuracy 7, about 37 new suggestions were produced.
* At 6, about 76 suggestions were produced, but most were false positives.
* At 8, about 34 suggestions were produced and the ones I checked were mostly
correct.

So the recognition engine itself is producing useful suggestions. The problem
is that I cannot reliably confirm those correct suggestions and have them
remain confirmed.

This prevents the normal iterative training process: I can identify a face
correctly, but I cannot permanently add that new correct example to the
person's confirmed training set. Therefore the recognition model cannot
progressively improve from additional verified examples.

There is another related symptom: after rebuilding all training data, the
“Recognize faces only” workflow sometimes reports:

“There are no recognizable persons. Please add new persons.”

This happens even though the database contains persons with many confirmed
faces (for example, Venci with about 110 accepted faces).

I believe the Unknown/Unconfirmed editing problem should therefore be
investigated not only as a UI refresh issue, but also as a face-tag/database
persistence problem, because it prevents confirmed recognition results from
becoming stable training data.

I would be happy to test a fixed version and provide additional reproduction
information if needed.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

Reply via email to