https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=526353

            Bug ID: 526353
           Summary: Audio Distorted When Volume Set To Greater Than
                    Default (40%)
    Classification: Plasma
           Product: plasmashell
      Version First 6.7.5
       Reported In:
          Platform: Fedora RPMs
                OS: Linux
            Status: REPORTED
          Severity: normal
          Priority: NOR
         Component: Audio Volume widget
          Assignee: [email protected]
          Reporter: [email protected]
                CC: [email protected]
  Target Milestone: 1.0

DESCRIPTION

I recently switched from Linux Mint to Fedora KDE and noticed that in Fedora,
unlike on Mint, my audio would distort if set to maximum; I made sure to check
that I didn't have "Raise maximum volume" checked in the audio widget, and
started messing around with switching inputs (S/PDIF to USB) on my external
DAC/amp (an xDuoo XD-05) as well as switching to different audio devices to the
same effect: it didn't matter what audio device or interface I used, audio
would become distorted if I raised the volume above 40%.

I wondered if it was an issue with Fedora 44 or Pipewire, so I looked online to
see if others were having similar issues; there were many unanswered bug
reports, and of the few I saw responses to, the solutions did not address my
issue. Adjusting the buffer sizes and sample rates in the configuration files
for Pipewire didn't help either.

Defeated, I installed Debian with KDE, thinking using a more stable distro with
older software and firmware might help, only to experience the exact same audio
issue: so I switched back to Fedora KDE, and looked online to see if there were
any *KDE* bug reports that may be similar to my issue. There were few, and none
with any helpful answers, so I decided to make this report in hope that someone
more knowledgeable and experienced with ALSA, Pipewire, and/or KDE may be able
to help me figure out what any of those components might not like about my
system on distros utilizing the Plasma desktop environment.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Set volume to greater than 40%.
2. Play audio from any source.

OBSERVED RESULT

Audio starts to subtly distort around 50%, getting more and more noticeable as
you increase volume, until everything is in mono and sounds as though it's
playing through a distorted guitar amp.

EXPECTED RESULT

Audio should be clean and free of distortion at or below 100% volume.

SOFTWARE/OS VERSIONS

Operating System (available in the Info Center app, or by running `kinfo` in a
terminal window): Fedora Linux 44
KDE Plasma Version: 6.7.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.30.0
Qt Version: 6.11.2

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Audio setup is my external DAC/Amp (xDuoo XD-05) connected via optical cable to
the built-in soundcard on the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 motherboard, which is listed
as "Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller" in the
output of lspci, and using the snd_hda_intel kernel driver; according to the
motherboard specs, the built-in soundcard uses the Realtek ALC1150 audio codec.

My CPU is an Intel i5-4590.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

Reply via email to