On 2021-04-23 21:04, Ben Cooksley wrote:
My personal suggestion would be to pick a few applications and try
to work
with them to get the tooling up. E.g. Krita, Kate, KWrite and
Okular. And try
to automate. Don't have the application developers maintain all
those
variants. It's too much! Maybe it's possible to get craft to a point
that it
can build for all of those platforms? Maybe it's possible to
generate the
required files directly with cmake? Give the devs one place to add
their
dependencies. Give them easy tools they know. If they have to invest
looking
into how to package for snap they will ask "what do I get over apt?"

Craft already looks after Windows and MacOS, and is developing the
capability for Android and Appimage (which some projects are already
using on the Binary Factory for both). Once the Android and Appimage
stuff has matured further we'll likely start requiring projects use
Craft rather than permitting bespoke tooling to be used.

I would prefer that, too.

I use the Craft produced installers for the Windows Store and
I hope to better test the Appimage stuff created there, too,
for Kate.

Greetings
Christoph

--