El Divendres, 23 de març de 2012, a les 20:12:53, Thomas Zander va escriure:
> On Friday 23 March 2012 19.39.26 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > Removing the functional effects which context markers have, including
> > > the
> > > /format modifiers, might have a significant effect if this makes
> > > everything plain text rather than rich text, so at first sight I'm not
> > > too keen on this idea.
> >
> > I agree with David here, the fact that people don't use them does not mean
> > we  should aim at using them. And people don't use them because most
> > people probably doesn't know, this can be attributed to a lot of things,
> > like for example us not having a proper "style guide" where you would
> > write "Each time a filename appears in an user visible message write
> > <filename>%1</filename>".
> >
> > Other reason is developers not caring about consistency much, we could
> > easily  gather some non-hardcore developers to go other the various i18n
> > messages of a given app and "fix" them.
>
> Looking at the numbers I'm not sure your optimism is warrented; this feature
> has been around for many years and its documented on techbase yet its being
> used in very very low numbers. (333 times in all of KDE for the filename
> tag..) Sure, it may be ignorance.  Frankly, I didn't know about this
> feature. The fact that developers didn't know about this feature is just as
> much education as that they never needed it and asked how to do it.
>
> I think its nice to be optimistic and think that we can get people to fix
> their UIs and suddenly get people to care.

That's only because we are geeks and don't care if half the time a filename
appears as '/home/tsdgeos/foo.txt' or "/home/tsdgeos/foo.txt" or
BOLD/home/tsdgeos/foo.txtBOLD or whatever.

In a polished environment this is important.

IMHO this is something similar to i18n, needs someone that goes after people
and nags them to fix it.

> But can we be certain enough of succeeding now where we clearly failed
> before that this is actually worth stopping the innovations that Chusslove
> is working on?

I did not understand that it was stopping any innovation, Chusslove can you
clarify if you want to remove them for the sake of simpler code (which I don't
say it's unimportant) or because they create problems with other features you
are developing?

> Read those numbers again; its kinda depressing really;

Yes, they are, but to be honest noone pushed for them, what you expected?

Cheers,
  Albert