On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 23:45:39 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> If someone wants to do a 4.12 release from kde-workspace module it can be
> branched from the 4.11 branch.

fwiw, i take no responsibility for branches other than the 4.11 one. if
someone feels the burning urge to make a release 4.12, i’d stringly recommend
that the relevant changes necessary be done in that branch. at most a tag to
called 4.12 or whatever. but please don’t branch things unless you are signing
up to take over maintenance (and will explain to people why there won’t be a
long term 4.11 release)

the workflow implications as well as the communication impacts have been
considered in making this decision. calling the sixth (or whatever) stable
release of the 4.11 branch “4.12.0” is misleading and dilutes the message of
“we’re doing a long term series of releases based on this feature-frozen code
base”. having a multitude of branches that the maintainers are not actually
tracking is dangerous. people have been extremely receptive to the idea of a
long series of point releases based on the 4.11 workspaces code.

if packagers have real and demonstrable challenges with having kde-workspace
4.11.x installed with a kde-runtime 4.12, please let us know with clear
explanations along with the expected impacts of those challenges.

i have no interest in the “but that’s the way we’ve always done it” argument,
but am open to real issues we may not be aware of at this point.

--
Aaron J. Seigo