Hi everyone! I'm one of Debian's Qt maintainers and I'm writing here due to
the problem that QtWebEngine poses for us distros (in this case, at least
Debian and Fedora).

I know that kdepim seems to depend on it now. Sadly QtWebEngine it's quite a
hard (very hard) piece of software to package.

It embeds quite a lot of 3rd party stuff which we distros don't accept (in
different grades depending on the distro) as we require to build using the
system versions. Fedora's Rex Dieter tells me that's actually why chromium is
not available for them.

Moreover we can't build debugging symbols on most archs due to the enormous
amount of RAM+swap it involves in the linking process (more than 8GB last time
I checked). This is at least the same as QtWebKit, but seems to be getting
worse.

Yes, we do understand that QtWebEngine is technically superior to any other
thing out there but making that code an acceptable package is another thing.

So basically what I'm trying to say is: don't expect us down streamers to
easily package QtWebEngine soon, if we ever get to it.

I'm really sorry if this comes as "bad news", but the reality is currently
this :(

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/