Am 2017-01-12 04:00, schrieb Kevin Kofler:
Martin Gräßlin wrote:
Email threads don't work to codify such requirements. What we need is
something like an "announce new dependency to sysadmin freeze" prior to
the dependency freeze in the release schedule. That's what I mean with
codifying it. We need to have it in a way where devs actually check.
It needs to be part of the process. An old email thread cannot be part
of the process.

IMHO, the rule should be: If you need a version of a system-level dependency (such as xkbcommon – things that you can't just expect the KDE packagers to upgrade willy nilly) that is not available (as an official stable update) in the OLDEST supported releases of common distributions, you MUST #ifdef it.
Then there will also be no problem for the CI.

You know what happens when we ifdef the version of dependencies? Thinks break in distributions. They ignore the optional dependency and ship with the older one. Which results in issues we upstream developers have to care about. The quality of our product goes down and users complain about the lousy quality of plasma and the distribution.

The paramount issue resulting from it is the maintainer of a well known KDE distribution stepping down from his job complaining loudly in public about the lousy quality of KDE. I still remember the issues we had especially with Fedora due to incorrect dependencies in the early 5.x times.

I could tolerate a request to weaken our quality from anybody but you.

Cheers
Martin