Thanks for your reply, Roman
I also thought of archivemount but (maybe to early) discarded that idea because for testing I need control over the device id. I'm not sure how to make identification more reliable either. If I'm able to read the uuid of a drive or partition it would be small enough to incorporate into the document id directly. Otherwise I will have to do some heuristics and use an extra db for device id/drive mapping. I really don't know yet.
Cheers,
Michael

I'm not sure how you're gonna to make identification more reliable, but you can use fuse to create mountpoints in user space. E.g. using archievemount you can mount