On 11/8/23 12:22, Scarlett Moore wrote:
Hi everyone,
As we progress through the Qt6 transition I have been trying to keep
up on our QML dependencies and I keep tripping over circular
dependency nightmare. We switched to a mega package format which
includes qml modules. So we have big issues when frameworks like kwin
depends on plasma-workspace. Introduced here:

https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/commit/028dd552cfb9d826b40b9620d869c98d2aa3dca3?page=2

Is it intended that qml modules in plasma-workspace are allowed to be
used by frameworks? Are we wrong to bundle QML inside a mega package
or is the framework wrong for depending on QML further up the stack?
Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Hi,

first of all, I don't think starting off an email with "QML: a packagers
nightmare" is a good-faith way to start a discussion about something,
especially given the issue presented has little to do with QML as a
technology and is rather specific to the projects involved.

Furthermore, kwin is not a framework, it's part of Plasma, and
dependencies between Plasma components are generally fine. That there is
a circular dependency between plasma-workspace and kwin is not good and
should probably be addressed somehow, but the severity is somewhat lower
given the cycle doesn't exist at built time.

Cheers

Nico