On Tuesday 21 January 2014 18:38:28 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> kdeoptions and qtoptions manpages listed the common options to applications
> using kdelibs4 and qt4.
>
> These have just become kf5options and qt5options.
>
> But which options are still true?
>
> From qt5options:

All of these are now single-dash again (like Qt always made them, it's just
that kcmdlineargs added double-dash equivalents for them).

>        --display displayname
>            Use the X-server display displayname.

-display works

>        --session sessionId
>            Restore the application for the given sessionId.

-session is still there.

>        --cmap
>            Causes the application to install a private color map on an 8-bit
> display.

Remove.

>        --ncols count
>            Limits the number of colors allocated in the color cube on an
> 8-bit display, if the application is using the QApplication::ManyColor
> color specification.

Remove.

>        --nograb
>            Tells Qt(TM) to never grab the mouse or the keyboard.
>
>        --dograb
>            Running under a debugger can cause an implicit --nograb, use
> --dograb to override.

-nograb and -dograb are still there

>        --sync
>            Switches to synchronous mode for debugging.

Seems to be gone, maybe due to the switch to XCB.

>        --fn,--font fontname
>            Defines the application font.
>
>        --bg,--background color
>            Sets the default background color and an application palette
> (light and dark shades are calculated).
>
>        --fg,--foreground color
>            Sets the default foreground color
>        --btn,--button color
>            Sets the default button color.

Can't see any of this in the Qt code -> remove.

>        --name name
>            Sets the application name.

-name exists, in the XCB code, it sets the WM_CLASS.
This docu should probably be made much more accurate.

>        --title title
>            Sets the application title (caption).

Gone.

>        --visual TrueColor
>            Forces the application to use a TrueColor visual on an 8-bit
> display.

Gone.

>        --inputstyle inputstyle
>            Sets XIM (X Input Method) input style. Possible values are
> onthespot, overthespot, offthespot and root.
>
>        --im XIM server
>            Set XIM server.
>
>        --noxim
>            Disable XIM

Can't find anywhere, remove.

>        --reverse
>            mirrors the whole layout of widgets

-reverse works

>        --stylesheet file.qss
>            applies the Qt stylesheet to the application widgets

New in qt5:
 -platform <qpa_platform_name>
 -qwindowgeometry (as the portable equivalent for -geometry, which only works
on xcb)
 -plugin <plugin_name>, not sure what it's used for exactly

These should be documented in the QGuiApplication ctor docu but they are not,
the list there is incomplete...

> From kf5options:
>
>        --caption caption
>            Use caption as name in the titlebar.

Ah, this is a kde4support thing (kcmdlineargs).
If we think this is useful, we should add it to Qt.
Is it useful?

>        --icon icon
>            Use icon as the application icon.

Same thing.

>        --config filename
>            Use the alternative configuration filename

kde4support only -> remove
[one can use XDG_CONFIG_HOME instead, I suppose].

>        --nocrashhandler
>            Disable the crash handler, to get core dumps.

Removed, set KDE_DEBUG=1 instead.

>        --waitforwm
>            Waits for a WM_NET compatible windowmanager.

kde4support only (-> remove).

>        --style style
>            Sets the application GUI style.

-style (is a Qt option, move it there)
Add -stylesheet too
See QApplication class docu for these.

>        --geometry geometry
>            Sets the client geometry of the main widget.

Was from Qt. -geometry still works, on X11.

--
David Faure, fa...@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr