On Saturday 25 January 2014 16:36:22 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dissabte, 25 de gener de 2014, a les 10:20:20, David Faure va escriure:
> > On Tuesday 21 January 2014 18:38:28 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > > kdeoptions and qtoptions manpages listed the common options to
> > > applications
> > > using kdelibs4 and qt4.
> > >
> > > These have just become kf5options and qt5options.
> > >
> > > But which options are still true?
> > >
> > >        --caption caption
> > >
> > >            Use caption as name in the titlebar.
> >
> > Ah, this is a kde4support thing (kcmdlineargs).
> > If we think this is useful, we should add it to Qt.
> > Is it useful?
> >
> > >        --icon icon
> > >
> > >            Use icon as the application icon.
>
> Isn't this kind of mandated by the desktop entry spec that says that %i will
> be translated to --icon?
> Besides ./kio/src/core/desktopexecparser.cpp seems to use it.

You're somewhat right. Note that the .desktop file for an app doesn't have to
use %i, if the app doesn't support --icon.

I can see the idea of the feature, using the Icon field in the .desktop file
for both menus and the app window icon, but my question is whether it's really
used/useful in practice. In my kde4 applications dir, I see 16 .desktop files
using %i, plus the 14 .desktop files for okular but that's just one app, so 17
apps in total. However, I suspect that most of these would work just the same
without %i, since they use the default icon name anyway (e.g.
ktorrent.desktop, Icon=ktorrent).
Plus, the apps need a good default icon anyway, for the case where they
started another way (e.g. from the command line).

> Not sure about -caption but i'd say it may make sense too in some cases.

I actually see more possible use cases for -caption, in custom setups
(e.g. someone preparing custom desktop files for users to do specific tasks,
the window title can make it very clear what a particular window instance is
for)
I'll see about adding it to Qt. It's also easier, because we can make it
single dash... I guess I should also make Qt support double-dash for its
builtin options...

--
David Faure, fa...@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr