On Friday December 18 2015 10:53:35 Chusslove Illich wrote:

>I'm not talking about offices requiring it. I'm talking about coming to a
>random office in the world and finding my language already available,
>without trifling anyone about it.

Out of curiosity: do you expect to use your language when communicating with
people instead of computers, in any random office in the world? ;)

>> You haven't read (or understood) my argument, which is about how blocks
>> are used, not how many.
>
>I read it, but apparently I didn't understand it. Would you explain it
>further, or point me to an explanation?

In traditional disk/file system technology, files use an integer number of
blocks, and blocks aren't shared among files. I am not aware that has changed
with SSDs, but block sizes have increased. They used to be 512 bytes, which is
a size that is small enough that the actual on-disk size for each file will
never be more than 511 bytes larger than necessary. With 4096 byte blocks that
potential waste grows to 4095 bytes, about 8x more.
Disclaimer: this is what *I* understand of the underlying functioning. I am not
always right in my understanding of things.

As I said, I don't want to make a huge point of this. I'm perfectly aware that
we're not in a situation like the last time I cleaned unwanted languages
(.lproj directories) from OS X and freed up hundreds of Mbs from my boot
partition. And in that case we were talking about absolute disk space waste :)