ngraham added a comment.

  In D11993#241607 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11993#241607>, @cfeck wrote:

  > I vaguely remember there was some code to delay resizing of the columns
until all items were loaded for performance reasons. Please check the commit
history before deleting code.

  File history during the frameworks era:
https://cgit.kde.org/kio.git/log/src/filewidgets/kdiroperatordetailview.cpp

  File history during the kdelibs era:
https://cgit.kde.org/kdelibs.git/log/kfile/kdiroperatordetailview.cpp?h=Active/Two

  Here's the commit from 2007 that added most of the code we're proposing to
remove:
https://cgit.kde.org/kdelibs.git/commit/kfile/kdiroperatordetailview.cpp?h=Active/Two&id=32af0ab2db10e64933b10c2434727b883441c0cf

  Apparently the goal was to allow the columns to remain resizable before all
the items had loaded. A bit of an odd goal, and I'm not able to reproduce the
issue in my slow VM. Apparently hardware has become a bit faster in the past 11
years. :)

  Of note: while digging, I found multiple commits that were attempting,
unsuccessfully, to fix the problem that this patch fixes. It'll be nice to
finally have it done. Overall, the spelunking expedition has made me more
confident that this patch is sane.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO

BRANCH