smithjd added a comment.

  In D15718#330864 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15718#330864>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Making files executable that don't need to be executable is a bad security
habit. What if the contents get replaced with something malicious? Suddenly
that now-malicious file has execute permissions.

  Replacing a file's contents requires write permissions on the file. I have
plenty of executable shell scripts that aren't an immediate security risk,
though I suppose if someone gained write privileges over my home statistically
speaking a shell script is (currently) the most likely choice to gut and
replace with malicious code. If an attacker already has write permission over
your home you have bigger problems than a forgotten set-executable file in it
somewhere anyway. The patched state of that machine's software packages
dictates how devastating that payload was to your administrator, meanwhile your
home has probably been wiped.

  >  ---
  >
  > Conceptually, you are proposing that the rest of the world adapt to our
software, rather than the other way around. That's simply not practical. Even
if this were a good idea, the world will never adapt to us. We must adapt to
the world. Our software does not exist in a perfect state of total control over
the environment it inhabits; it exists to facilitate busy people with messy
lives as they work to accomplish their tasks with a minimum of hassle. That
goal is not enhanced by breaking KDE Plasma's search tool for them unless they
give all of their files execute permissions.

  > Sorry, no go. We need to find a better way.

REPOSITORY
  R293 Baloo

To: smithjd, ngraham, #baloo
Cc: bruns, ngraham, kde-frameworks-devel, #baloo, ashaposhnikov, michaelh,