On Tuesday, 2011-08-16, Duncan wrote:
> Kevin Krammer posted on Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:53:41 +0200 as excerpted:
> > On Sunday, 2011-08-14, Martin Bednár wrote:
> >> first of all, I'd like to state that I'm all in for the Akonadi concept
> >>
> >> : a central storage for pim-related (and other) data; endless
> >>
> >> possibilities.
>
> FWIW, the kdepim developers can do what they want, I understand the idea
> of the synergies involved and I know it's useful for kontact all-in-one-
> view users especially, but for my usage (kmail/kaddressbook and akregator
> only, as separate apps, I used pan for news and don't need an organizer
> or do IM), all that heavy-duty database stuff was rather like using a
> howitzer to kill a fly.

The common infrastructure is actually more useful for the separate apps use
case than the all-in-one app. An all-in-one application can easily achieve
most of these features internally, it is separate apps when providing
solutions for common problems makes a difference.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring