On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 8:07 AM Evert Vorster <evors...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Paul.
>
> There are ways to use GPU rendering in the output. However you typically
> exchange quality for speed & size.
>

> ie: rendering out at q=26 on software looks better than rendering out at
> q=26 on hardware.
>
> This is because the software encoders are more mature and can use features
> in the CPU that the GPU cannot.

This is not necessarily always true as of the 6th generation Turing NVENC.
It is generally considered now as good as x264 and x265 at medium preset:
https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/turing-h264-video-encoding-speed-and-quality/
https://unrealaussies.com/tech/nvenc-x264-quicksync-qsv-vp9-av1/7/#NVENC-Part-2
(you can find more studies)

Turing cards are RTX 20xx and GTX 1650 Super:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC#Sixth_generation,_Turing_TU10x/TU116

If you want to use HEVC to limit size while maximizing quality, Turing
NVENC HEVC makes a lot of sense since it is so much faster than x265 or
vp9. If you are going to output H.264 I think it is less compelling
considering the speed of x264.

Here is a profile that I was using to test nvenc: