** Description changed:

+ SRU Justification
+
+ Impact: A regression in the xenial kernel causes EPERM to be returned
+ when accessing dfs subfilesystems in a cifs mount.
+
+ Fix: Upstream cherry pick which uses the appropriate credentials for
+ these automounts.
+
+ Regression Potential: The fix involves reverting a sauce patch to fix a
+ similar problem in nfs, but it's replace with a more generic fix which
+ fixes cifs as well. I have tested with both nfs and cifs submounts and
+ confirmed that both work as expected.
+
+ ---
+
  Expected: being able to mount subfilesystems via cifs mount.
  What happens: permission denied even though there is permission

  I am denied access to the subfilesystems on a samba server. The top
  level filesystem itself is unaffected but dfs links seem to run into
  'Operation not permitted' problems. When accessing the subfilesystem on
  the mount as root it mounts correctly. The standard user is then also
  able to access the subfilesystem.

  This only happens when the client uses kernel 4.4.0-34 (#53). When I
  revert my client to an older kernel (4.4.0-21) everything works. Using
  the older kernel the normal user can directly ls into the subfilesystem.

  This is bug is very similar to bug #1603719
  (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1603719). However,
  the released fix (in 4.4.0-33.52) does not seem to fix it for cifs.

  Extra info:
  Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
  cifs-utils version: 2:6.4-1ubuntu1
  Mount options are minimal: sec=krb5,uid=XXXX,cruid=XXX

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:16.04.15
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  Date: Thu Aug 11 10:32:20 2016
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
-  PATH=(custom, no user)
-  XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
-  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
-  SHELL=/bin/bash
+  PATH=(custom, no user)
+  XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
+  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
+  SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  modified.conffile..etc.update-motd.d.91-release-upgrade: [deleted]

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

  CIFS client: access problems after updating to kernel 4.4.0-29-generic

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  SRU Justification

  Impact: A regression in the xenial kernel causes EPERM to be returned
  when accessing dfs subfilesystems in a cifs mount.

  Fix: Upstream cherry pick which uses the appropriate credentials for
  these automounts.

  Regression Potential: The fix involves reverting a sauce patch to fix
  a similar problem in nfs, but it's replace with a more generic fix
  which fixes cifs as well. I have tested with both nfs and cifs
  submounts and confirmed that both work as expected.

  ---