Ah, a notable difference between the hardware spec of the test servers
and the real servers:

The test server is on a test machine which has a graphics board
installed in it: EVGA e-GeForce 8400 GS Graphics Card - 512 MB RAM
512-P3-1301-KR

The real servers are using the on-board Intel graphics.

No option to move the Nvidia board to the impacted server machine as
there is no PCI-e slot on the server boards. They have only one card
slot which is in use for the RAID controller.

  No server console display after Grub screen until fully booted and
  pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1/8

  Today I did our first production 14.04 to 16.04 LTS server upgrade. I
  had done so a couple of times successfully on test server machines.
  Upon booting up on the 16.04 system/kernel, after the Grub screen the
  server console screen is completely blank.

  Someone suggested using Ctrl-Alt-F1/8, and indeed pressing those
  hotkeys does toggle through the tty screens.

  There is no boot process logged to the server console screen.

  I did have the last 14.04 kernel yet installed, so selected that one
  from the Grub menu. Booting that 14.04 kernel, then server console
  display behaves normally.

  So I suspected perhaps a bum install of the 16.04 kernel. I used the
  following commands while booted to the 14.04 kernel to reinstall the
  16.04 kernel:

  $ sudo dpkg -P linux-image-4.4.0-59-generic
linux-image-extra-4.4.0-59-generic linux-image-generic
  $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic

  Same results booting the 16.04 kernel after those steps.

  Hardware spec is an Intel Atom D945GCLF2D boxed motherboard with Intel
  Atom 330 Dual-Core processor and 2GB RAM. RAID is 3Ware SATA RAID.