Hello, thanks for the response. The system does boot and actually boots
from the older kernel by default. It's just that I am unable to use apt
or dpkg because it will hang when configuring the new kernel. It's an
incomplete installation at this point.

This also prevented me from collecting the necessary log files because I
needed to install the python-apport package for that. If you need any
specific log files, I can probably collect them manually.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Zesty)

  Latest kernel update gets stuck

Status in linux source package in Zesty:

  I just installed the latest kernel update (4.10.0-20), but it gets
  stuck on the following line:

  Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
  run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 4.10.0-20-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-20-generic

  I can't finish the update process now. I am also unable to install any
  software because dpkg informs it's corrupted. But running sudo dpkg
  --configure -a causes it to get stuck again on the line above.

  More info is provided here on this AskUbuntu question:
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/908676/linux-kernel-update-stuck

  I hope I reported this on the right location.

  I am running Ubuntu GNOME 17.04