The kernel linux-image-extras-* package intentionally calls postinst
scripts even when it is rmeoved.  This is required because after its
removal you have still have the kernel installed though in a very
slimmed down form; one which is valid for booting in a VM for instance.
The postrm for the linux-image-* package will call the required postrm
when and if the whole kernel is removed.  We have to call all of the
postinst (not just update-initramfs as we cannot know what else needs to
care that the initramfs has changed; typically the bootloader which is
informed of the kernel change via the /etc/kernel/* hooks.  Without this
the initramfs can get built without the contents of the -extras package,
bootloaders can consume _that_ version and you have an unbootable system
even though you subsequently installed linux-image-extra-*.

All of the scripts in the /etc/kernel/* hook directories need to be
careful to view the world in the context of the installed system and
idempotent against rerunning as they are part of postinst/postrm which
has this requirement.  If they are breaking in the face of this occuring
the hooks are broken and we need to fix them.

It sounds like apt-auto-remove was incorrectly calculating the list of
kernels in the past, but I understand that is fixed.  Is there any other
hook known to cause issues.

  linux-image-extra-*-generic postrm script runs install actions

Status in linux-lts-trusty package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  The postrm maintainer script in the binary packages linux-image-
  extra-*-generic runs the scripts in /etc/kernel/postinst.d instead of
  those in /etc/kernel/postrm.d.

  This can have all sorts of undesirable consequences depending on what
  other packages add to those directories, but I noticed it because it
  caused /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal to make the wrong
  decisions leaving my servers with only one installed kernel left.

  Cheers,
  Seb