@Jarno the first of those seems unrelated to the underlying issue here.
The second one of these is real.  That would not be resolved by not
running the postinst if postrm then did update-initramfs -u.  That would
be resolved by the long intended and never implemented switch to a
fuller trigger implementation for initramfs-tools.

  linux-image-extra-*-generic postrm script runs install actions

Status in linux-lts-trusty package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  The postrm maintainer script in the binary packages linux-image-
  extra-*-generic runs the scripts in /etc/kernel/postinst.d instead of
  those in /etc/kernel/postrm.d.

  This can have all sorts of undesirable consequences depending on what
  other packages add to those directories, but I noticed it because it
  caused /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal to make the wrong
  decisions leaving my servers with only one installed kernel left.

  Cheers,
  Seb