I'd like to perform a "Reverse" bisect to figure out what commit fixes
this bug.  We need to identify the last kernel version that had the bug,
and the first kernel version that fixed the bug.

Can you test the following kernels and report back:

v4.14 final: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.14/
v4.15-rc1: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.15-rc1/
v4.15-rc4: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.15-rc4/

You don't have to test every kernel, just up until the first kernel that
does not have the bug.

Thanks in advance!

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: kernel-da-key

** Tags added: performing-bisect

  System freezes when starting Xorg after installing linux-
  image-4.13.0-32-generic

  My laptop (Lenovo T440) freezes when starting Xorg (lightdm) only
  after installing the latest ubuntu kernel for 17.10, linux-
  image-4.13.0-32-generic.

  Am running Xorg instead of MIR due to MIR crashing when I initially
  upgraded from 17.04 to 17.10, but that's a different problem for a
  different day. It's been running with Xorg stably for at least 2-3
  months.

  If I boot with the previous kernel version on my /boot (linux-
  image-4.13.0-25-generic), everything works fine.

  If I boot with the latest mainline kernel from the Ubuntu mainline
  repo (4.15.0), everything works.

  Using grub's option to run "Recovery Mode" for the 4.13.0-32 kernel, I
  am able to use the CLI and access the encrypted root filesystem, which
  is how I generated the apport repo that's attached. It's only when
  telling it to continue Normal booting that it freezes, which is why I
  suspect the problem of being Xorg.

  When the system freezes, the fan starts to spin up. I cannot switch
  virtual consoles using CTRL-ALT-F{1-7}. CTRL-ALT-DEL pressed
  repeatedly doesn't do anything. To reboot, I have to hold the power
  button until the system powers off.