@cmeerw - thanks for letting us know you're experiencing this issue too!

I was hoping there might be a more obvious pattern, but it's good to see
that an N3540 *without* an SSD is still affected by the suspend issues.
Looks like the SSD might not be part of the problem.

Can I just check - have you been able to try 18.04 with a 4.14 kernel
and find that it lets you enter sleep properly and resumes as normal?

Using the latest 4.14 kernel is just a temporary fix, so hopefully the
kernel bisection result points towards a specific area that can be
looked into.

  Suspend fails in Ubuntu and Kubuntu 18.04 but works fine in Ubuntu and
  Kubuntu 17.10 (and on Kubuntu 18.04 using kernel 4.14.47)

  I have installed Kubuntu 18.04 on 3 different machines (my friend's
  and my own) with no suspend problems but my HP Pavilion 11 x360 does
  not suspend.

  It suspends fine with Ubuntu 17.10, Kubuntu 17.10, Devuan Jesse,
  Devuan ASCII and Windows 10 but fails with Ubuntu 18.04 and Kubuntu
  18.04.

  I have also tried suspend using a live USB of 18.04 on this machine
  and it fails in the same way, so does not appear to be caused by any
  additional programs that I had installed.

  By installing an older kernel (4.14) on Kubuntu 18.04 the suspend
  function works as expected.

  Running Kubuntu 18.04 with kernels 4.15, 4.16, 4.17 results in the
  suspend failure that freezes the machine and requires a hard reset.

  Correct behaviour is -

  Screen goes blank, fan goes off, power LED flashes to show machine is
  in suspend. Pressing power button triggers 'resume' function.

  What happens -

  Screen goes blank, fan stays on, power LED stays on. Machine stays in
  this state and does not respond to any keyboard interaction, mouse
  movement or power button presses.

  Ctrl + Alt + f1 (or f2, f3, f4 etc) does not get any response.

  The only way to use the machine is to shut down by holding down the
  power button.

  Checking the logs suggests that the machine believes it is in suspend mode
sleep [deep] when it isn't.

  Having to hard reset to get any response means that the kernel logs
  say no more than sleep [deep]

  pm-suspend also results in the same problems with kernels 4.15 and
  4.16, but works fine with 4.14.

  It is curious that a machine that suspends fine on an earlier 4.14
  kernel no longer works with 4.15 and above, whilst 3 other machines
  (including one with pretty similar hardware) do not exhibit this
  problem.

  There are only a handful of questions about it on the forums but at
  least 3 other people have the same problem:

  https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029405/ubuntu-18-04-crashes-on-
  resuming-from-suspend

  https://askubuntu.com/questions/1041369/after-upgrading-
  from-17-10-ubuntu-18-04-wont-sleep-suspend

  I am attempting to round up anyone else with the same issue and point
  them to this bug report.

  My laptop is HP Pavilion x360 11-n013na
  Matalaks is Acer Aspire ES1-511
  collisionTwo has XPS 9560