** Description changed:

+ SRU Justification
+
+ Impact: CONFIG_NETWORK_PHY_TIMESTAMPING is disabled, preventing PTP time
+ synchronization using the DP83640 PHYTER.
+
+ Fix: Enable this option and set CONFIG_DP83640_PHY=m to enable the
+ DP83640 PHYTER driver.
+
+ Regression Potential: The kconfig help text warns of adding overhead to
+ network tx and rx, but our analysis finds this to be negligible (see
+ comment #6). Beyond this we are enabling a new driver which does little
+ unless timestamping is explicitly activated, so regressions are not
+ expected.
+
+ ---
+
  Hi folks, is there a reason we do not enable
  CONFIG_NETWORK_PHY_TIMESTAMPING ? I'm not sure of the tradeoffs but I
  think this config option is required for PTP time syncronization which
  would be useful in telco and financial (and OCD :)) environments.

  Consider enabling CONFIG_NETWORK_PHY_TIMESTAMPING

Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  SRU Justification

  Impact: CONFIG_NETWORK_PHY_TIMESTAMPING is disabled, preventing PTP
  time synchronization using the DP83640 PHYTER.

  Fix: Enable this option and set CONFIG_DP83640_PHY=m to enable the
  DP83640 PHYTER driver.

  Regression Potential: The kconfig help text warns of adding overhead
  to network tx and rx, but our analysis finds this to be negligible
  (see comment #6). Beyond this we are enabling a new driver which does
  little unless timestamping is explicitly activated, so regressions are
  not expected.

  ---