This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1799497

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)

  4.15 kernel hard lockup about once a week

Status in linux source package in Bionic:

  My main server has been running into hard lockups about once a week
  ever since I switched to the 4.15 Ubuntu 18.04 kernel.

  When this happens, nothing is printed to the console, it's effectively
  stuck showing a login prompt. The system is running with panic=1 on
  the cmdline but isn't rebooting so the kernel isn't even processing
  this as a kernel panic.

  As this felt like a potential hardware issue, I had my hosting provider give
me a completely different system, different motherboard, different CPU,
different RAM and different storage, I installed that system on 18.04 and moved
my data over, a week later, I hit the issue again.

  We've since also had a LXD user reporting similar symptoms here also on
varying hardware:
    https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/5197

  My system doesn't have a lot of memory pressure with about 50% of free memory:

  root@vorash:~# free -m
                total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available
  Mem:          31819       17574         402         513       13842
13292
  Swap:         15909        2687       13222

  I will now try to increase console logging as much as possible on the
  system in the hopes that next time it hangs we can get a better idea
  of what happened but I'm not too hopeful given the complete silence on
  the console when this occurs.

  System is currently on:
    Linux vorash 4.15.0-36-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 24 16:19:09 UTC 2018
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  But I've seen this since the GA kernel on 4.15 so it's not a recent
  regression.