Would you be able to test some kernels? A bisect can be done if we can
identify what kernel version introduced this issue.

  4.15 kernel hard lockup about once a week

Status in linux source package in Bionic:

  My main server has been running into hard lockups about once a week
  ever since I switched to the 4.15 Ubuntu 18.04 kernel.

  When this happens, nothing is printed to the console, it's effectively
  stuck showing a login prompt. The system is running with panic=1 on
  the cmdline but isn't rebooting so the kernel isn't even processing
  this as a kernel panic.

  As this felt like a potential hardware issue, I had my hosting provider give
me a completely different system, different motherboard, different CPU,
different RAM and different storage, I installed that system on 18.04 and moved
my data over, a week later, I hit the issue again.

  We've since also had a LXD user reporting similar symptoms here also on
varying hardware:
    https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/5197

  My system doesn't have a lot of memory pressure with about 50% of free memory:

  root@vorash:~# free -m
                total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available
  Mem:          31819       17574         402         513       13842
13292
  Swap:         15909        2687       13222

  I will now try to increase console logging as much as possible on the
  system in the hopes that next time it hangs we can get a better idea
  of what happened but I'm not too hopeful given the complete silence on
  the console when this occurs.

  System is currently on:
    Linux vorash 4.15.0-36-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 24 16:19:09 UTC 2018
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  But I've seen this since the GA kernel on 4.15 so it's not a recent
  regression.