Indeed, i booted the stock kernel with my new console-setup settings...
and i get readable ttys still.

And the config for your kernel did not appear to list 16x32 there
either.

Can you please share the source for the kernel you have built?

Also I wonder where the TER 16x32 font is coming from, and how can we
make it like the default on the Ubuntu Desktop.

  [CONFIG] please enable highdpi font FONT_TER16x32

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Trusty:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  [CONFIG] please enable highdpi font FONT_TER16x32

  This is now available in v5.0

  config/config.common.ubuntu:# CONFIG_FONT_TER16x32 is not set

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/diff/lib/fonts/Kconfig?id=ac8b6f148fc97e9e10b48bd337ef571b1d1136aa