OH! Interesting. Three more questions:

 1. Before installing/trying pavucontrol what else did you try?
 2. When you resume with no audio and have pavucontrol installed already, if
you go to the profile selection tab, is it in the "off" state?
 3. Am I correct that you tested this and had it occur in both Lubuntu and
Ubuntu? Did you test with any other flavors?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1816394

Title:
  Ubuntu 19.04 qa:test - suspended system resumed without audio (i fixed
  via add of pavucontrol)

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  Ubuntu 19.04 QA-Test (LIVE x86_64)

  Dell optiplex d755, (c2d-e8300, 8gb, Radeon HD 2400 PRO/XT)
  Two dell displays, left is landscape, right is portrait

  This live test had two packages added:  `vim` & `ubuntu-restricted-
  extras`

  Background:
  I added ubuntu-restricted-extras so I could run requested test on this system
which had me streaming videos from utube - it was required to get around H264
errors  (vim because I can't cope with other editors & added `multiverse` to my
sources.

  Issue:
  With firefox streaming ABC News 24 (local AU news) I suspended machine.
Waited
  Awoke machine - everything resumed as expected .. Some circling was apparent
on firefox before picture resumed, however no sound.

  I was unable to fix it using any tools installed - to fix I `sudo apt
  install pavucontrol`, went to Configuration (or last tab) and
  Profile=Off on the drop-down menu, then returned to
  Profile=AnalogStereo Duplex.   This is something I do on occasion for
  this machine on installed system or other machines I use.

  This is really a minor issue, & may not be an issue on an installed
  system (though I come across it semi-regularly & just live with it).
  In regular use I pause/stop sound & know this makes this almost a non-
  issue (almost never happens when sound isn't playing).

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 19.04
  Package: gnome-power-manager 3.30.0-2
  Uname: Linux 4.18.0-11-generic x86_64