This bug has nothing to do with linux-firmware, changing to affect
linux.

I don't know that I'd say the "wrong" driver is being selected here. It
sounds like there is an in-kernel driver that supports the NIC, but does
not seem to support it at full speed. So there is a kernel issue here,
but you're likely to make more headway reporting it to the upstream
driver maintainer. We can help you do that if you like.

Your complaint seems to be that you weren't offered the dkms driver by
default. I know there used to be a system that offered extra drivers
during installation. I assume it's still there, but I'm struggling to
remember what it was named, and I don't know what the procedure is for
updating it.

** Package changed: linux-firmware (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

  Fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install uses wrong Realtek wired network driver.

  Hi there,

  Installing Ubuntu 18.04 on my newish laptop which contains a Realtek
  8168 NIC seems to use the r8169 driver by default, and should use the
  r8168 in order to work properly. To fix, I removed or blocked the 8169
  driver, installed the 8168 driver and then reconfigured NetworkManager
  - which was quite difficult for a new user like me. I've included
  details from my system since I addressed the issue yesterday.

  Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help more.

  ~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      18.04

  ~$ apt-cache policy r8168-dkms
  r8168-dkms:
    Installed: 8.045.08-2
    Candidate: 8.045.08-2
    Version table:
   *** 8.045.08-2 500
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  ~$ neofetch
  OS: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x86_64
  Host: Aspire A515-51G V1.10
  Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic
  Uptime: 30 mins
  Packages: 2124
  Shell: bash 4.4.19
  Resolution: 1920x1080
  Terminal: gnome-terminal
  CPU: Intel i5-8250U (8) @ 3.400GHz
  GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
  GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150
  Memory: 3457MiB / 7725MiB

  ~$ sudo lshw -c network
    *-network
         product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
         vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
         physical id: 0.1
         bus info: pci@0000:02:00.1
         logical name: enp2s0f1
         version: 12
         serial: 98:29:a6:40:b5:f1
         size: 10Mbit/s
         capacity: 1Gbit/s
         width: 64 bits
         clock: 33MHz
         capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet
physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
         configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8168
driverversion=8.045.08-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes
port=twisted pair speed=10Mbit/s
         resources: irq:128 ioport:3000(size=256) memory:a4204000-a4204fff
memory:a4200000-a4203fff

  Package: linux-firmware 1.173.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: kpatch_livepatch_Ubuntu_4_15_0_23_25_generic_40
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: communitheme:ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Thu Jul 19 09:56:08 2018
  Dependencies:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: linux-firmware