The error: "zfs[9317]: cannot mount '/': directory is not empty" seems
to suggest that this is a root mounted zfs.  Is that so?

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  19.10 ZFS Update failed on 2019-10-02

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  On all my systems the update from zfs-initrams_0.8.1-1ubuntu12_amd64.deb
failed the same is true for zfs-zed and zfsutils-linux.
  The system still runs on 0.8.1-1ubuntu11_amd64.
  The first error message was about a failing mount and at the end it announced
that all 3 modules were not updated.
  I have the error on Xubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu Mate 19.10 on my laptop i5-2520M
and in a VBox VM on a Ryzen 3 2200G with Ubuntu 19.10.