I boot from ZFS so that datapool will be root mounted. That same
datapool has been used in the past exclusively for Virtual Machines,
later I added the datasets for the host OSes to the same datapool,
because they were at the begin of my SSHD. So that datapool contains
datasets with Virtualbox VMs and the root datasets for two Ubuntu OSes
Ubuntu Mate 19.10 and Xubuntu 19.10.

I plan to buy a NVME SSD (say 500 GB) and I would use that with a single
datapool also for both the Hosts OSes and  the Virtual Machines. The
other data (documents, movies, music etc) would remain on one or two
HDDs.

I have created the pools of course using the sudo or maybe even sudo -s,
because I had to issue a number of privileged commands, since that creation
time the datapools are mounted automatically by the system.
I do not remember to have problems with the ZFS updates in 19.04 using the same
datapools.

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  19.10 ZFS Update failed on 2019-10-02

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  On all my systems the update from zfs-initrams_0.8.1-1ubuntu12_amd64.deb
failed the same is true for zfs-zed and zfsutils-linux.
  The system still runs on 0.8.1-1ubuntu11_amd64.
  The first error message was about a failing mount and at the end it announced
that all 3 modules were not updated.
  I have the error on Xubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu Mate 19.10 on my laptop i5-2520M
and in a VBox VM on a Ryzen 3 2200G with Ubuntu 19.10.