After some more research I found out that this is actually due to an
unimpelmented feature in Nvidia's drivers.

On this model of laptop, the video output ports all connect directly to
the discrete Nvidia GPU, and Nvidia's drivers do not yet support the GPU
being used as a sink from the integrated GPU and piping the integrated
GPU's output to a display.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-435 in Ubuntu.

  "nvidia on-demand" mode does not support external displays

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-435 package in Ubuntu:

  In a recent driver, Nvidia finally added Linux support for render
  offload, where most graphics are rendered on the CPU-onboard GPU and
  only certain applications are rendered on the discrete Nvidia GPU. I
  know that Ubuntu 19.10 started shipping some updated Xorg packages to
  support this. For the most part the mode seems to work great.

  On my laptop, however, I have found that the "on demand" mode does not
  detect external monitors (and the monitor says it is not receiving a
  signal). Switching to "Nvidia" mode, where everything is rendered on
  the discrete GPU, makes the external displays work. The laptop is a
  Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 1). I have found this occurs both with
  nvidia-graphics-drivers-435 and nvidia-graphics-drivers-440 in the
  "graphics-drivers" ppa.

  Package: nvidia-driver-435 435.21-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Mon Oct 21 13:17:38 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: nvidia-graphics-drivers-435
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to eoan on 2019-10-21 (0 days ago)
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  Package: nvidia-driver-435 435.21-0ubuntu2
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  Tags: eoan third-party-packages
  Uname: Linux 5.3.0-19-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to eoan on 2019-10-21 (0 days ago)
  UserGroups:

  _MarkForUpload: True