hyper-v does not work in the way you are familiar with (such as libvirt)
where 2 processor cores are assigned and essentially dedicated to the
virtual host.

If i'm not mistaken I believe this is a result in the way hyper-v
handles the virtual machines. When a VM is created (BASIC_A2_V2) the
hypervisor decides where virtual operating system processes/threads are
to be processed via the bare metal resources. I believe this is done at
random. This could be why you may be seeing an unusually high amount of
cpus in the "offlined" state.

I'm not sure this test should even be run on azure, due to hyper-v. I
will take an action item to look into this further. For now, I do not
think this is an issue in the least. This test suite is designed to be
run on bare metal machines, not hyper-v vms

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-azure in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1831543

Title:
  Standard_A2_v2 Azure instance will have CPU in offline state

Status in ubuntu-kernel-tests:
  New
Status in linux-azure package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  This needs to be investigated to see if it's been disabled intentionally.
  The cpu-hot-plug test shows there are 126 offlined CPUs.

   selftests: cpu-on-off-test.sh
   pid 9824's current affinity mask: 3
   pid 9824's new affinity mask: 1
   CPU online/offline summary:
   present_cpus = 0-1 present_max = 1
   Cpus in online state: 0-1
   Cpus in offline state: 2-127
   Limited scope test: one hotplug cpu
   (leaves cpu in the original state):
   online to offline to online: cpu 1
   not ok 1..1 selftests: cpu-on-off-test.sh [FAIL]