By installing an OLDER mainline kernel 5.3.18-050318-generic x86_64, the
behaviour has reverted to what I had before Ubuntu 20.04, meaning: if
the router switches the canal for the 5 Ghz band, connection is lost and
then a new connection is set on the 2.4 Ghz band.

Interestingly, what can be seen in attachments in message #4 and #5 is
happening too but is not reproduced endlessly, just a few attempts.

** Attachment added: "syslog (older kernel)"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1881214/+attachment/5382011/+files/syslog%20%28older%20kernel%29

  Intel Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] Subsystem [8086:1010] on channel
  switch, iwlwifi Microcode SW Error: FW error in SYNC CMD
  CHANNEL_SWITCH_TIME_EVENT_CMD

  Ubuntu Mate 20.04, with all supplied kernels up to 5.4.0.33

  I occasionally see a message on my screen that disk space is low. I
  try rebooting since my computer is unresponsive. Normal reboot does
  not work, sudo reboot does not work. I have to power off the machine
  using power button. Machine boots but hangs because its trying to
  repair journal info.

  I can't see what causes that since I was not using my computer at the time.
  edit: see comment #14

  So with a live session, I can see that syslog and kern.log files have
  grown to several GB until the drive is full.

  When using an upstream kernel 5.4.43-050443-generic x86_64, I haven't had any
problem so far.
  edit: not true actually, this happened again using this upstream kernel.

  Never had this issue with previous Ubuntu versions with the very same
  hardware configuration, since 16.04.

  Included: partial syslog and kern.log with the same message repeated over and
over.
  edit: and when the event starts.