Thanks Kleber, I see now that this is what happens when you check a
checkbox (Pre-released updates) and five years later don't even remember
it. :-)

  Ubuntu 16.04 kernel 4.4.0-202 basic commands hanging

  Hi there,
  I've updated kernel on my Ubuntu 16.04 from 4.4.0-201-generic to
4.4.0.202-generic today and it broke my system.
  Basic commands, such as pidof, lsof, ps fax (ps -a works) hang indefinitely
and not even root issued kill -KILL will terminate them. Only thing that helps
is to kill the shell that started such commands.

  I had to reboot back to 4.4.0-201, however during shutdown various
  stop jobs hanged as well and after more than 25 minutes I had to go
  for hard reboot.

  My current—NOT BROKEN—kernel has signature (cat /proc/version_signature):
  Ubuntu 4.4.0-201.233-generic 4.4.247

  I am attaching the lspci-vnvn.log, also created with the non-broken
  kernel.