I suppose I should have made it clear that just changing the amount of
memory reserved was not sufficient.

Perhaps it would be useful to print a message saying "hey, I know we set
something by default, but we don't expect that to actually work, so you
should probably test and adjust it"?

Because it sounds like it's not expected to work out of the box, and
configuring it to "on, but doesn't actually work or warn you" when you
install the package seems worse than not configuring it, similar to how
I wouldn't expect installing ccache to result in it sticking itself in
my PATH, reporting "ccache enabled and working" when asked, but then
defaulting to a max cache size of 4 kilobytes.

Packages, which is subscribed to makedumpfile in Ubuntu.

  kdump just hung out of the box

Status in makedumpfile package in Ubuntu:

  I tried installing kdump-tools (1.6.7-1ubuntu2.2) on my up to date
  20.04 system, installed specifically to try reproducing a bug.

  But when I tried, after kdump-config status reported "ready to dump"
  on reboot, echo 'c' | sudo tee /proc/sysrq-trigger, it printed the
  panic to console and then just hung forever.

  After some blind guessing and twiddling both variables, I found that
  crashkernel=512M-:256M works on this particular setup. (MS7850
  motherboard, i5-4670 CPU, 5.4.0-42-generic kernel)