Oh yeah, it would be awesome to set such message...but I'm not sure how
we can do it! If we know beforehand that the reserved memory amount
won't work for your system, to show the message..why we don't just fix
it?

The problem is that this is a policy, there is no technical mechanism
(currently) that foresees that a quantity of RAM equals X is required
for your system in order kdump to work. We have the heuristic (aka sets
crashkernel to 192M), which is expected to work on the majority of
machines. Hence, the recommendation for kdump users is to install the
package and perform a dummy kdump, as you did! If it fails, go ahead and
fine tune that.

With the estimator I've pointed you in the last comment, things should improve,
having a mechanism that will suggest a proper amount, pre-calculated on boot
time. But until we get that merged, this situation is not ideal and will remain
like this - I understand it's not the best, if you have a technical suggestion
on how we could improve it, it's highly appreciated =)
Cheers,

Guilherme

Packages, which is subscribed to makedumpfile in Ubuntu.

  kdump just hung out of the box

Status in makedumpfile package in Ubuntu:

  I tried installing kdump-tools (1.6.7-1ubuntu2.2) on my up to date
  20.04 system, installed specifically to try reproducing a bug.

  But when I tried, after kdump-config status reported "ready to dump"
  on reboot, echo 'c' | sudo tee /proc/sysrq-trigger, it printed the
  panic to console and then just hung forever.

  After some blind guessing and twiddling both variables, I found that
  crashkernel=512M-:256M works on this particular setup. (MS7850
  motherboard, i5-4670 CPU, 5.4.0-42-generic kernel)