On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 07:42:08AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
> >> Will the exploded tree go away if we don't change to this model?  Also
> >> unclear.  I'd hesitantly say it would stick around, but it might
> >> change in the way it is created and published.
> >>
> >> I'm sure there will be more questions, so please ask away.  Looking
> >> forward to hearing other's thoughts.
> >
> > So.  Given that it has been a week and we've heard nothing back, I'm
> > going to assume that either nobody cares how we maintain our tree
> > (which tbh is a fair point of view), or all of this sounds great to
> > everyone.
> >
> > So here is our plan going forward.  We need a place to try this out to
> > make sure it is actually a net positive for us.  We intend to drive
> > the master branch in pkg-git (rawhide) using the tree and scripts for
> > the 4.2 merge window.  What that means for other people is basically
> > this:
>
> The team and I were discussing this topic yesterday, and it really
> isn't working as we'd hoped.  The exploded tree is great for rebasing
> patches.  It's trivial and integrated into the workflow just fine.
> However, taking that source code and producing an RPM is pretty
> cumbersome now.  The scripts work, but they can be fragile in certain
> places.  It's also still double commits in the long run, one in
> pkg-git and another in the exploded tree for all the junk that is
> needed for tracking and updating pkg-git.  Over time, a 'git rebase'
> call will take forever as those commits pile up because they're never
> going upstream.  Thorsten and Peter also pointed out that changes
> "sneak" into pkg-git and only are mentioned in the RPM changelog, not
> as separate commits.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the effort!  Sad to hear it isn't working out, but I understand
your reasons.

While it is still fresh in your mind, can I ask a few questions for
curiousity.

Not that submodules is a good solution (from what I hear) but would a
solution like that (if made easier) work for those fedora scripts?  The idea
would be a rebase and a single commit on top to add the submodule-like
directory/area that pulls in a separate tree full of those changes?

This would sidestep the rebase growing larger over time, sort of
(one initial commit, but a growing set of commits brought in later??).

It might address the 'sneaky' changes problem too.

The only thing it doesn't handle is the extra Fedora kernel patches
themselves that is carried (but I think you have that minimized and under
control anyway).

I don't expect you to hold your breathe for that solution to arise, but if
it did, would it help do you think?

Cheers,
Don