On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 11:17:29AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Don Zickus <dzic...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 07:42:08AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

> >> The team and I were discussing this topic yesterday, and it really
> >> isn't working as we'd hoped.  The exploded tree is great for rebasing
> >> patches.  It's trivial and integrated into the workflow just fine.
> >> However, taking that source code and producing an RPM is pretty
> >> cumbersome now.  The scripts work, but they can be fragile in certain
> >> places.  It's also still double commits in the long run, one in
> >> pkg-git and another in the exploded tree for all the junk that is
> >> needed for tracking and updating pkg-git.  Over time, a 'git rebase'
> >> call will take forever as those commits pile up because they're never
> >> going upstream.  Thorsten and Peter also pointed out that changes
> >> "sneak" into pkg-git and only are mentioned in the RPM changelog, not
> >> as separate commits.
> >
> > Hi Josh,
> >
> > Thanks for the effort!  Sad to hear it isn't working out, but I understand
> > your reasons.
> >
> > While it is still fresh in your mind, can I ask a few questions for
> > curiousity.
> >
> > Not that submodules is a good solution (from what I hear) but would a
> > solution like that (if made easier) work for those fedora scripts?  The idea
> > would be a rebase and a single commit on top to add the submodule-like
> > directory/area that pulls in a separate tree full of those changes?
> >
> > This would sidestep the rebase growing larger over time, sort of
> > (one initial commit, but a growing set of commits brought in later??).
>
> I thought about this when I originally started, but avoided it for a
> few different reasons.  The main one was my unfamiliarity with
> submodules.  Another was now you're going from 2 "trees" to manage
> (pkg-git, linux.git) to 3 (pkg-git, linux.git, submodule).  It would
> help the rebase issue, but that is about all it would help.

Ok.

> > It might address the 'sneaky' changes problem too.
>
> I'm not sure about that one.  The issue there stems from multiple
> things happening in linux.git, and then when we sync to pkg-git it all
> just gets sucked into one large commit.  Unless you held to a strict
> 1:1 linux.git -> pkg-git rule, you're always going to face that
> problem.  And if you go to 1:1, you aren't really treating linux.git
> as the canonical source at that point.  It is just an exploded tree
> mirror essentially.
>
> In some scenarios, this isn't a big deal.  Some distros don't expose
> their package SCM and their users/customers are used to the SRPM as
> being the canonical source, with %changelog being the equivalent of
> the SCM commit logs.  However, since the Core+Extras merge Fedora has
> always used the package SCM as the transparent location to see "what
> changed and why".  Deviating from that, while it makes things easier
> for my team, is somewhat against Fedora's transparency.
>
> (It's also the reason why I bothered to spit out separate patches and
> tarballs.  The easiest solution is to just suck up the output of
> git-archive of the linux.git tree and use that as a tarball and build
> it, but not having patches would probably cause people to lose their
> minds in the Fedora world.)

Sure.  We had a 'create-patches.sh' script that did the 1:1 thing based on
an initial tarball in RHEL that worked well for years.  Just throwing it out
there.

> > The only thing it doesn't handle is the extra Fedora kernel patches
> > themselves that is carried (but I think you have that minimized and under
> > control anyway).
> >
> > I don't expect you to hold your breathe for that solution to arise, but if
> > it did, would it help do you think?
>
> I think the only thing that would really make working from an exploded
> tree viable is if koji could be pointed at it directly.  Even then,
> the mechanics of source -> spec -> srpm -> rpm(s) isn't
> straightforward.

We do this in RHEL, not sure if koji was passed that technology or not but
we have already solved this years ago.

Again, I am not trying to persuade you to try your mind, just trying to
understand the pitfalls for my personal reasons. :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Don