On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 01:48:36PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >> [1] https://github.com/npmccallum/census
> >> [2] https://github.com/npmccallum/census/blob/master/client/plugins/
> >> [3] https://github.com/npmccallum/census/pull/3
> >
> > Internally, we have been focusing on using 'lshw' as the tool that provides
> > all that info and handles all the arch funkiness (and includes firmware).
> > If there is anything missing, we have tried to push upstream to that
> > project.
> >
> > Would that cover a lot of the info you are looking for?
>
> It sounds like lshw could provide the output for the local system if
> someone wrote a census plugin for it.  What it doesn't seem to cover
> at all is the "gather data and send it somewhere" part, right?

I think it covers part of the 'gather data', no? :-)  I had assumed the
census tool handles the 'send it' somewhere.

As part of the kernel CI work I am doing internally, we are trying to figure
out a more universal way of exchange machine info when providing feedback
that a test or patch broke.  Lots of folks have been using lshw.  This has
made it easier to write scripts on top of that output compared to various
custom output.  It isn't perfect, but it seems to do a reasonable job today.

Cheers,
Don