On 11/08/2017 09:24 AM, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> Here is why I don't think we need to have all the data collection
> requirements up front. Clevis is designed to be very modular. A data
> collector plugin is just an executable that outputs a JSON blob. A
> corresponding server-side plugin parses this data and stores it in the
> database in an efficient way to be later queried.

I certainly don't expect to walk away from this with everything everyone
wants (and nothing people don't want), but it doesn't hurt to spend a
little time up-front thinking about this.

Since we're going to be putting this in a database and hopefully we have
a lot of data, thinking about what that data will look like now will
save us and those who have to maintain this system in production a great
deal of pain. It looks like that current implementation uses MongoDB,
which could either be a good choice or a bad choice depending on what
the data schema looks like. If it is a good choice, we need to be able
to prove that since Fedora Infrastructure uses PostgreSQL for pretty
much everything and they probably won't be thrilled about maintaining
another database.

If we opt for PostgreSQL that means we really do have to model our data
(I think is a good thing to do even with something like MongoDB) so we
should have a pretty solid idea of what it looks like.

--
Jeremy Cline
XMPP: jer...@jcline.org